Saturday 20 March 2010

The fastest, most powerful

...games console on earth! Well, not these days, but in 1997.


I've hoarded a lot of stuff over the years and occasionally I'll find something in a box that makes me squeal like Vanille on prom night (or casting magic, or jumping, or moving around a bit). Hence these scans of an N64 guide from Official Nintendo Magazine. The Tech-Specs on page 2 provide the most enjoyable reading with factoids like 'Over 1000 times more power than the moon-landing computer - FACT!'

(Click to read)

Just looking at the screen shot of square-lookin' Jaws from Goldeneye is enough to send me looking for my Moonraker Laser, and F-Zero X is possibly still the most enjoyable multiplayer racing game I've ever played. The rivalry with The Faux Bot was legendary too, it was like Godzilla vs Megalon.


These first 2 scanned pages are not all happy memories and staggering statistics about how Nintendo is better than NASA however - F1 World Grand Prix was not 'a truly awesome motor-racing game' in fact it was fuck awful and still leaves a bitter taste now, 13 years on. Worst buy ever.

5 comments:

Death By Die said...

I have to be honest, I hated the N64. I tried playing it several times and the control pad was just horrible. just could not get on with it! snes is still the best nintendo console!

Justtherightbullets said...

Agh, dude, you're breaking my balls. Going to have to disagree on the control pad lol, it was 3 handled genius. Seriously though the D-Pad was completely surplus to requirements! When you look at it in terms of the left thumb controlling the stick and the right thumb, the buttons- it wasn't that far removed from modern controllers.

Caffeine Powered said...

Any system that spawned Blast Corps is a-okay in my book.

Agreed about the controller, it was like the abortion of all bad controller concepts resurrected and made alive.

I'd have bought it just for the first-party games. I don't know how many hours I wasted on Goldeneye / Mario Kart 64.

In terms of how many games I actually bought for it? Not too many, but I tended to love the fuck out of the ones I did purchase.*




*Save for Donkey Kong 64, fuck that game.

The Faux Bot said...

I'm resurrecting that rivalry. You'd better believe it's going to be bitter.

You guys say what you will about that controller. I thought it was from the future when I was a kid. it blew my mind.

Death By Die said...

I shall say what I want, and I stand by what I said. It was pants! The psone analogue was so much nicer, you dont need 3 handles!! poor design in my opinion!

Followers

Blog Archive