Wednesday 19 September 2007

PS3: Where Art Thou? Part 1

Anyone reading this blog will notice a massive bias towards games featured on the XBOX 360. I thought it was time to maybe reiterate the fact that none of us own a PS3, and the Wii software front is well, a little slow. Put simply, none of us can afford a PS3, but we love games with a passion, so if and when Sony get a decent software line-up, we'll be in the queue with all the other converts. Got it? Good.

On with the story.....

This, as you may have already guessed, is a multi-parter, with the second to hopefully follow tomorrow. Today, I want to focus on just what it is that puts me off Sony's Big Black Behemoth.

Sequels: Is it just me, or do Sony seem to place an incredible amount of stock in their sequels to existing successful games? It seems that the entire backbone of Sony's software line-up consists solely of follow-up titles as opposed to new and original IP's. Devil May Cry 4, Resident Evil 5, a new Ratchet and Clank, a new Gran Turismo, MGS4 and Final Fantasy ummm, 13 are they on now? Whilst these all look like strong, interesting and immensely playable games, it worries me to think that eventually, these series' will run out of steam. Also, what if other developers follow suit with Kojima and make these the final iterations? What will Sony's customers be left with? Don't get me wrong, I love to follow a continuous story and I have no doubt that MGS4 in particular will be outstanding, but I can't help feeling that these aren't exactly 'new-generation' games, but they are just simply re-vamps with new graphics and a few extra tricks. I guess the same could essentially be said of all sequels, and after all, sequels would be redundant if they rewrote the formula to such an extent that they alienated the audience from the previous game. It just makes me slightly nervy to think that you could build a console's whole A-Team line-up on such a volatile type of game.

The other stuff that doesn't really need to be said: I'm going to say it anyway though, if only briefly. It's too damn expensive and there are no good games yet. The Sixaxis is a poorly-implemented attempt to topple the Wii and it's too expensive. Did I mention how expensive I think it is? Just in case: too expensive. I keep telling myself that by this point in the 360's life-span, we were being treated to Gears of War. What are PS3 owners being treated to? Lair? Oh dear. There just seems like there is so little new content to be excited about and it strikes me that most PS3 owners simply went for the sleeker, sexier and more technologically advanced console. Sure, it looks good in your minimalist studio flat, but have you got any games to enjoy on it?

Drake's Fortune seems to be one game in particular that Sony want you to pay attention to. The wild abandon with which they throw around the quote "Gears of War meets Tomb Raider" suggest that for them, this is going to be a big deal. Now, as always, the proof is in the pudding, and for all I know, it may be one of the most enjoyable gaming experiences of my life. But, this is perhaps the most bland and uninteresting game I have ever seen. It looks like the gaming equivalent of Tesco's Value range, or good old No Frills. Well, I like my Frills, thanks all the same. I managed to complete the entire collection of Star Wars Tazos, collected solely from Walkers crisps. The point I am (shambolically) trying to illustrate is that the kids are never clambering for the Value section. They may taste the same, but they look like crap and correct me if I'm wrong, Videogames are an highly visual medium.

beige...

Now, that may have seemed a little harsh, but please bare with me. I pride myself on not being any particular brand of fanboy, so please check back tomorrow, or soonish, for part 2: the reasons why I am craving a PS3.

The Faux-Bot

No comments:

Followers