Thursday 6 September 2007

NEW BIOSHOCK DLC COMING OUR WAY?

So, I heard this rumour the other day, and I guess this goes further to confirming it. Thanks to some investigative work into the PC versions files, it has been revealed that some new downloadable Plasmids are a very real prospect.


Found in the "manual.ini" file, the "Downloadable content announcement" of something called "Plasmid Pack 1" reveals the following message:

NEW FROM RYAN INDUSTRIES!
Having concluded clinical trials on four new Genetic improvements, Ryan Industries is proud to announce the general release of their newest products:

Machine Buster
Vending Expert
Sonic Boom
EVE Saver

Look for them at a Gatherer's Garden near you!




nicked from Destructoid.

But, I have to ask, is this really necessary? I guess its pretty cool. But after completing the game twice already, its going to be a very, very long time before I go back, because there's not that much to go back for. I'm struggling to see what the new Plasmids would actually add to the game anyway, seeing as only a selection of the originals were useful. It's alot like Winter Blast; sure it's fun, but its not worth using because you get no loot.

At this stage, these new Plasmids seem to be little more than pure novelty. If they decide to charge for these, I think 2K can expect a huge backlash.

I feel quite torn over this matter. Whilst I welcome anything new and Bioshock related, I still feel that this is a pretty poor attempt, and I am anticipating the worst, with them potentially charging for the content, only adding insult to injury. I hope that it works out better than it seems right now. Maybe, just maybe they could find a good reason to get people to go back and play with the new Plasmids. I guess the easy way out would be some new tie-in 360 achievements, but then that leaves the PC owners out in the cold. Bioshock, is without doubt, an incredible game, but also one that has very little replay value. It is an intense and perfectly encapsulated one-player experience, which is why the inclusion of any sort of multiplayer would have been a waste of disk-space. But I can't help thinking, that for a game so full of new and genuinely interesting ideas, the mere bolting on of some new powers just seems, well, a bit of a cop-out.


The Faux-Bot

No comments:

Followers