Tuesday 25 March 2008

We could save Take-Two

One of the biggest criticisms that I've noticed getting levelled at the gaming community is that generally speaking, we are apathetic and don't have the balls to stand up for what we believe in and what we dedicate so many precious hours of our lives to. I for one, am anything but apathetic. I maybe misguided and idealistic, but no-one could ever deny that I was passionate about my hobby.
Here, I present to you my most heartfelt post ever:

EA are actively seeking to buy Take-Two interactive - the company best known for publishing the Grand Theft Auto series. They have offered $2 billion, which was turned down by T2. To secure their company, Take-Two offered their shareholders the very generous price of $25 per share. EA then offers them $26 to start in motion a hostile takeover. If EA acquires 75% of the shares, Take-Two will be theirs.

Rockstar have flatly said that if this acquisition goes through, then they will not develop any more Grand Theft Auto games. EA will own the franchise and with it the ability to whore it our to whichever developer they feel will do an o.k. job. Grand Theft Auto will be effectively dead in the water, along with it, one of the most outspoken and independent voices in the videogame industry.

It is very easy to sit here and complain, and I often tell people to shut up for doing so. It's pointless and ineffective without some sort of action. I'm going to practice what I preach and do the only thing I can think of. I'm going to buy shares in Take-Two interactive.

If there are enough passionate shareholders, then EA will be stopped in their tracks. It's the only thing that I can do, so I'm at least going to try. I don't want to live in a world where every single game is published by either EA or Activision.



Feel free to join me.

Actually, please do, I don't want to seem aloof, I really, really care about this.



The Faux-Bot

Go here for more: http://www.mcvuk.com/news/29710/EA-offers-to-buy-Take-Two-for-2bn

No comments:

Followers